I am a student of 3 years bsc course, studying in 2nd year. so I desperately want to do well in cat and prepare for it. but I don't know where to start from.

please help.

7 Answers
1-7 of  7
7 Answers
  • CAT Exam is conducted in the month of November every year. So, if you are in second year right now, you will be giving the exam in your final year In November and the score of CAT is valid for an year. There are only 5 months left for the exam but you can still score a good Percentile.
    As there is  very less time left for the exam, you can join a coaching centre for the fastrack course as they will provide proper guidance regarding the high scoring sections and conduct mock tests.
     You can also do self study and utilise your time correctly to cover the whole syllabus from the given books and prep tests.
    There are total 3 sections in CAT exam: VARC(Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension),DILR(Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning),Quantitative Aptitute.
    There are total 100 questions in the CAT and the given time is 3 hours.
    Correct Answer:+3
    Incorrect Answer:-1
    SECTION 1(VARC)
    Number of questions:34
    Books To Refer:
    1.       How to Prepare for Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension for CAT by Meenakshi Upadhyay and Arun Sharma 
    2.       The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT by Nishit Sinha 
    3.       Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis

You should start reading novels, newspapers, magazines, etc. This will increase your vocabulary and will help you in this section.

SECTION 2(DILR)
    Number Of Questions:32
    Books To Refer:
    1.       A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by R.S.Agarwal
    2.       How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
    3.       Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation by Nishit Sinha 
    SECTION 3(Quantitative Aptitute)
    Number Of Questions:34
    Books To Refer:
    1.       How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
    2.       Quantitative Aptitude Quantum by Sarvesh Kumar 

For any guidance and prep test, please refer this link

• @Tanya 

I think you have covered almost everything 

• Hi Sagnik, 
    As you're in your 2nd year, you have plenty of time and chances to score high in the exam.
    I would suggest you to start making a habit of reading novels and newspapers. It will increase words in your vocabulary and speed to read fast. For quant, if you're not able to study, I would suggest starting solving the puzzle. It will give you exposure and develops thinking and reasoning ability. Preparation of exams like CAT cannot be done in 1 night but you need to study daily. 
    Recommended Books 
    1. Arun Sharma’s The Complete CAT Digest, by Tata McGraw-Hill
    2. How to Prepare for the CAT Common Admissions Test by Muhamed Muneer
    3.How to Prepare for the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Arun Sharma
    4.Nishit Sinha’s The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning (Pearson)
    5. Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
    6.How to Prepare for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning for CAT (Tata McGraw-Hill) by Arun Sharma 

I would also suggest you to solve previous years question papers 
    You can also refer to the study material of some coaching centres like T.I.M.E
    And if you're preparing on your own, you can use some apps and online forums to clear your doubts 
    Sharing the links of some, hope they might help!
    1.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instasolv.android
    2.https://play.google.com/store/search?q=magoosh%20gmat&c=apps

• Hey, 
    Check out Studypal. over here you can find study partners and learn and study with them. All my friends are using it and they are loving it.

• Try to solve Logical Reasoning problems from UPSC exam's previous years questions. Refer any book like Arun Sharma for CAT. I think DAta Interpreation,Quantitative aptitude and Logical reasoning are topics to be coverd directly from the books.

• start with your quants.. number system;Arithmetic;algebra;mensuration & geometry..keep propality coordinate geometry set theory and others for later...then read The Hindu and other books or you may watch English movies or t.v. series..for your varc portion..

cat
Practice Mock Test
cat