IAS officer is responsible for maintenance of law and order, revenue administration and general administration in the area under him. Functions of an IAS officer broadly include:
* Maintenance of law and order.
* To travel to places to oversee implementation of policies.
* Collection of revenue and function as Courts in revenue matters.
* Function as Chief Development Officer (CDO)/District Development Commissioner.
* Supervision of implementation of policies of State Government and Central Government.
* Supervision of expenditure of public funds as per norms of financial propriety.
* Function as Executive Magistrate.
* In the process of policy formulation and decision making, IAS officers at various levels like Joint Secretary, Deputy Secretary etc. make their contributions and the give final shape to policies.
* To handle the daily affairs of the government, including framing and implementation of policy in consultation with the minister-in-charge of the concerned Ministry;