What is the duty of an IAS officer? Can I give UPSC after 12th?
IAS officer is responsible for maintenance of law and order, revenue administration and general administration in the area under him. Functions of an IAS officer broadly include:
* Maintenance of law and order.
* To travel to places to oversee implementation of policies.
* Collection of revenue and function as Courts in revenue matters.
* Function as Chief Development Officer (CDO)/District Development Commissioner.
* Supervision of implementation of policies of State Government and Central Government.
* Supervision of expenditure of public funds as per norms of financial propriety.
* Function as Executive Magistrate.
* In the process of policy formulation and decision making, IAS officers at various levels like Joint Secretary, Deputy Secretary etc. make their contributions and the give final shape to policies.
* To handle the daily affairs of the government, including framing and implementation of policy in consultation with the minister-in-charge of the concerned Ministry;