What are important topics in Computer System Architecture for GATE CS?

gATE Computer science

10 Answers
1-10 of  10
10 Answers
  • I am sharing the topics in decreasing order of importance
    1.       Cache Memory  and Pipelining
    2.      Machine instructions and addressing modes
    3.      Secondary Memory,I/O interfce(DMA,Interrupts)
    4.      ALU datapath,CPU control design
    Majority of questions have been asked on first two topics..but you can expect questions from remaining topics too so you  should try to cover all topics:)

• Data Structures
    One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – Recursion, Trees and Graphs.
    Maximum weightage is given to the topic of trees.
    Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Recursive functions and pointers.
    Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Stacks, Queues and Linked Lists.
    Algorithms
    One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – Algorithm Analysis, Sorting Algorithms, Graph Algorithms and Heap Trees.
    Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Sorting Algorithms and Dynamic Programming.
    Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Divide and Conquer Algorithms & Greedy algorithms.
    Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Divide and Conquer Algorithms.
    Operating Systems
    One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – CPU Scheduling Algos, Semaphores, Paging and Page replacement algorithms.
    Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Paging and Page replacement algorithms.
    Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Semaphores and Segmentation.
    Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Disk Scheduling Algorithms and Deadlock.
    Engineering Mathematics
    One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – Matrix Determinant, Propositional Logic and Predicate Logic.
    Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Mathematical Logic and Linear Algebra.
    Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Probability and Predicate Logic.
    Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Groups, Functions and Lattice Theory.
    Digital Logic
    One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – Combinational Circuits and Minimization and Couters.
    Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Combinational Circuits.
    Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Sequential Circuits.
    Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Number system, fixed and floating point registers.
    Computer Architecture and Organization
    One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – Pipelining and Cache Organization.
    Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Cache Organisation.
    Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Pipelining and I/O Data transfer.
    Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Machine Cycles and Addressing modes.

• Following Topics are important:
    1. Instruction set architecture
    2. Pipelining
    3. Addressing modes
    4. Cache Memory and its design
    5. CPU design

• Memory
    Pipelining
    ALU
    I/0
    Instruction set

• Concepts of Computer Organisation, Architecture, Machine learning, formal languages and finite automata, graph theory are important

• operating system
    data structure
    data base
    mathematics.

• following topic is most important for gate exam.
    1) Cache Memory  and Pipelining
    2) Machine instructions and addressing modes
    3) Secondary Memory,I/O interfce (DMA,Interrupts)
    4) ALU datapath,CPU control design
    Majority of questions have been asked on first two topics..but you can expect questions from remaining topics too so you  should try to cover all topics.

• Computer Organization and Architecture
    Machine instructions and addressing modes. ALU, data‐path and control unit. Instruction
    pipelining. Memory hierarchy: cache, main memory, and secondary storage; I/O
    interface (Interrupt and DMA mode).
    1.      Cache Memory  and Pipelining
    2.      Machine instructions and addressing modes
    3.      Secondary Memory,I/O interface(DMA,Interrupts)
    4.      ALU datapath, CPU control design

• especially numerical part ..i.e.cache and addressing modes

gate computer science (cs)
Practice Mock Test
gate computer science (cs)