I am at present in my 1st year. From when should I start my gate preparation and is coaching necessary ? Which books should I refer, and how should I prepare ?

Prepare.

9 Answers
1-9 of  9
9 Answers
  • Yes.
    If you want to good score in Gate Examination then start learning now.
    Because Gate Examination having wast syllabus.

GATE CS 2018-19 Syllabus
    Section1: Engineering Mathematics
    Section 2: Digital Logic
    Section 3: Computer Organization and Architecture
    Section 4: Programming and Data Structures 
    Section 5: Algorithms 
    Section 6: Theory of Computation 
    Section 7: Compiler Design
    Section 8: Operating System 
    Section 9: Databases
    Section 10: Computer Networks 

Books 

Conducting Institute for GATE 2019: IIT Madras

The examination of GATE is jointly monitored by the seven IITs.

GATE 2019 will be held for 24 papers. The duration of the examination will be 3 hours.

Recruitment to PSUs is also done on the basis of GATE scores.

The sections involved in the examination are – Concerned Subject, General Aptitude, and Engineering Mathematics

• wait .you are in the 1st year now.so don't worry.try to concentrate on the study now.in 3rd year you should start the study or take gate seriously.

• Right now you are in first year, so just learn about the basic concepts of c and c++ language. Get hold on the c language .You can also practice aptitude and reasoning questions. I think the best time to join the coaching is 4th and 5th semester. You can refer these books-
    DELD - R.P. Jain , Compiler - Ullman,DS- Tenenbaum,OS -Galvin, Networking - Furouzan, C - Dennis Ritchie, Architecture- Morris Mano, Discrete maths- Kenneth Rosen.
    Give online mock tests.

• Coachine is not compulsory,but coaching will definitely help you better.
    Yah,why not. Just explore the GATE syllabus and start from DIGITAL LOGIC
    Regarding books you can follow your curriculum books. The websites suggests lots of foriegn books to read, but those are totally irrelevant. What you need is you have to grab the basic and have to build a strong conception on each subject. For that you can try any good book,youtube videos.
    For objective practice first complete the gate previous yaer question and then download the gateoverflow books.
    Books avaialable on market like GKP,Disha are absolutely out of standard. so what only can help you is past year questions. 

• Now dont go to gate first make skills improved in learning coding or other softwares for your experiences in your core field 

• coaching is not compulsory.You should work towards your goal from your second year.

• you can Start with Subjects wise. whatever subject will come in your semester, focus on particular subjects only. keep revision ! and practice make sure you under two digit rank. if your College is not good to teach you. follow standard book or free nptel video or paid videos lectures.

• 2nd year onwards you can focus

• The syllabus of GATE exam is designed such that it covers one or two subjects of each semester of graduation courses. In first year, you may focus on general aptitude and engineering mathematics. Later, in next semesters you must give an extra attention to those subjects which is included in GATE syllabus. Meanwhile studying the subjects for your semester exams, keep solving GATE level objective problems. Never forget to revise the subjects previously studied. Coaching can help you in scheduling your course structure and keep you stable towards your goal. But, If you can go in the above mentioned way of self study, it is not required to join any coaching. In market, lots of GATE books are available. For theory, you should always refer standard text books. For practicing problems, go for those books which is completely solved; it will be helpful in clearing your doubts and building your concepts.

gate computer science (cs)
Practice Mock Test
gate computer science (cs)